Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

July 27, 2012

My summer mantle...

I thought you might like to see a sneak peek of how I've decorated the living room fireplace mantle for summer.  Before you know it, I'll be pulling out Halloween decorations (see this post for last year's Halloween mantle). A blue canning jar is filled with the last remains of our white daisies.   
The shells on the wreath were collected from Lake Erie many years ago and hot glued on to a straw wreath with spanish moss.  The vintage sailboat teapot was a Goodwill steal. My grandmother had the exact same style teapot and I remember it fondly.


The glass windows hanging above the mantle are filled with vintage postcards mixed with family photos and flashcards. The framed picture of the little girl wearing the purple sunglasses is myself and my father many many years ago. 


Even my little wooden cabin has a canoe parked out front waiting for a few adventures. 

Just wait until you see my sunroom shelf.  It's filled with all sorts of other vintage summer goodies. More pictures to come next week.  Have a thrifty crafty weekend, friends. Stay cool.

16 comments:

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Your summer mantle is lovely! Beautiful photo of the girls by the tree and that cabin with the canoe is darling. I can't get your cabin collection out of my head! You stumble across some of the sweetest treasures. Have a great weekend!

My Vintage Mending said...

Ah..this looks like memories we have. Last time up north we bought a sweet little canoe in Grand Marais. It is just that size...great idea. Smiles...Renee

BucksCountyFolkArt said...

Good for you! By the time I decorate the mantle for summer, it's already going to be Halloween!

Looks scrumpsh! Wish I could get into the spirit of summer like others do, but to me, I'm just biding my time til the Fall. : )

vivian said...

I love seeing how everyone decorates for the seasons and holidays. I have friends who never change a thing in their houses and even though their homes are lovely... I cant help but think how much better they could be! lol! I love your summer decorations! I will have to post some of mine.. unless I already did.. cant remember now! lol
have a great day kimmie!
ps.. LOVE the seashell wreath. I was trying to find one to buy, but maybe I should make one! hmmm... perhaps a little trip to joanns is in stor for today!
xoxo

Lee said...

It looks wonderful! Love the picture of you & your Dad.
Hard to believe August is almost here! I am getting into Halloween mode so early this year....
Have a terrific weekend!

Barbara said...

Nothing says summer like flowers in a blue Mason jar. Love all of your beautiful touches, and especially that teapot! There was one in our family the same size and shape and style except it had a raised hearth scene instead of the sailboat. If yours is like mine, you'd need to have some pretty good upper body strength to use it every day for tea!

Jboo said...

Love it!! You really have such a special touch. Hanging my head in shame that the only time I change my mantle is Christmas!!!

Have a happy weekend!

craftyles said...

hat a cute mantle. Love all the personal touches, especially that cute little canoe. Have a nice weekend!

Cheryl G. said...

All of it is so very sweet!
Nice collections!

NanaDiana said...

Kim- I love your mantle. I really love the little log cabin and canoe. So....Cute!!! xo Diana

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your mantel!! I just love it!!

chris

vintage grey said...

Beautiful summer mantle!! Love all your treasures, and can't wait to see more!! Have a lovely weekend! xo Heather

Karin said...

I love how you change your mantel for every season/holiday. How awesome to have all those precious memories on display. LOVE IT!

Life in Rehab said...

Very Summery, and all your memories make it even more special. Oh and the purple glasses? Very YOU.

Donna said...

What a fun and summery mantle, Kim! I love the windows, and the picture of you when you were little is precious! Oh, and my other favorite thing is the glass jar on the left filled with shells. Gorgeous!

GardenOfDaisies said...

Daisies, and boats and shells.. So summery. I have a canoe very similar to yours. I hang mine on our Christmas tree, along with several other childhood treasures. It brings back wonderful memories of canoeing on the mountain lakes.