Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

July 30, 2013

Bringing the beach inside...

We've had much cooler weather lately.  I'm not complaining about the open windows and turning off the air conditioner, but I certainly don't want to rush summer away.

Before I start hauling out Halloween decor, I thought I had better snap a few pictures of my living room mantle all gussied up out for summer. 
The tea pot is a favorite because my grandmother had the exact same one.  I found mine at Goodwill a few years ago for a steal.
The fish aquarium is a new acquisition.  Chris picked this up last Friday at an estate sale.  I love the decorative edges.
The sand pail and shovel next the aquarium are reproductions, but aren't the graphics fabulous?  Chris found me this vintage sand pail last Friday at the same estate sale as the aquarium.
The Bobbysey Twins book reminds me of my mother's collection that I used to read at my grandparents home. 
The framed Household magazine was a recent find from Allegan Antique Market.
A chalkware boat and a collection of postcards also fill the space nicely on my mantle.  
Can you believe it's nearly August?  Seriously.  Where did the summer go?

PS.  Thanks for all the praise on Chris's latest door project.  He loves all the feedback and compliments. 
 

19 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh, I love all of your beachy things! WOW! That aquarium is perfect, too...also the little sandpails and shovels are so sweet to decorate with! I think I'll pin a few things if you don't mind! Sweet hugs!

Lynne said...

I like your mantel reminding us of summer fun and activities. There will be many more days in the sun and warmth before the cooler shorter days of fall begin.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Glad you put up your summer mantle decor! It's fun!
I'm NOT ready for Halloween...
Very cool project your hubby did with those old doors!
Warmly,
deb

Lee said...

Wonderful summer display! Once again, you have so many treasures~ love the doll. Is she vintage?
You have such an eye for detail and you are so creative!
Thanks for sharing!

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Love seeing all the variations on beach decor. Your sand bucket is a winner!

Lutka And Co. said...

Wonderful beach decor - I love the chalkware boat!

Tammy's in Love said...

I love to change out my mantle for the seasons. August is our wedding anniversary monthly so all the little wedding cake toppers of brides and grooms are out along with a few pictures and a 58 year old Marriage Ceremony book. I found a little Wedding Anniversary wishes planter to tuck in with my garter and his 'ball & chain' sleeve garter too...happy memories!

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Such a fun summer mantle. Love the cute aquarium and the pails. Hope you still have more summer out there!

vivian said...

I would love to collect vintage sand pails.. but unless you get really lucky, they are expensive. I have the same reproduction one as you have! it is cute isnt it? Love your mantle! sweet summery goodness!
ok.. gotta go. sweet dreams~
xoxo

Jodee said...

What a fun summer mantel. I especially love the buckets!

I have no idea where summer went, however, I have already spied adorable Halloween decorations out that I MUST have!

Jboo said...

So cute!! We had a bit of cooler weather too -- but the heat is supposed to be back tomorrow -- so will send some your way!

DearHelenHartman said...

Darling, darling and more darling. Your house must be filled with joy. Halloween? Well, the weather is kinda making feel like fall.

NanaDiana said...

You have some GREAT beachy items there. Love that little aquarium and that doll is so sweet. It is fun to see that it is still summer at your house! xo Diana

vintage grey said...

Oh, love your beautiful mantel and sweet be achy treasures!! Those sand bucket is the cutest!! Happy sweet day to you! xo Heather

Corey said...

I just love how you decorate for the seasons! In some ways, I wish I did this, but on the other hand, I don't need another reason to collect vintage things from all the holidays/seasons! We are already tight on storage around here as it is!

craftyles said...

I'm loving the mantle, Kim. All the beachy vintage touches work so well together. That teapot-love it-especially since it brings back special memories of your Grandma. I can't believe it's almost back to school-where did the summer go?

La Vie Quotidienne said...

This is the cutest mantle ever...love your vintage collections ~ I used to love the Bobbsy Twins too!

Pam Kessler said...

I think Chris missed his calling. He could have been on American Pickers with Mike and Frank!

Nellie said...

I had the very same Bobbsey Twins book when I was a child! I don't remember it being quite as colorful.
Yes, fall is not far away! xo Nellie