Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

May 12, 2009

My husband, the Gardener....


Note: These pictures taken of our yard were from last summer.

As the weather finally turns warmer in West Michigan and things are starting to green up, my husband is in full gardening mode. My husband (the school social worker) is a gardener at heart. While he was in high school and college, he worked for Frank’s Nursery & Crafts. In fact, we recently found out his gardening obsession comes naturally - his great grandfather was gardener for an English family. As his school year winds down, he regularly comes home from his elementary school plotting BIG summer gardening/landscaping plans. He's the type that gets absolutely giddy about buying discounted plants (the kind that look like death warmed over) so that he can nurture them back to life.



As for my interest in yard work, I love mowing the lawn. I use a push mower and plug in my mp3 player and I’m transported away from needy children for roughly 45 minutes. Aside from using the big noisy lawn mower, I have no interest in gardening. I don't even like hauling hoses and watering plants. I could blame it on my full-time year-round work schedule, but I just don't have the same passion.



Thank you for making our yard so beautiful, Chris.



I love our shade garden and sipping drinks on our stone patio and I totally appreciate all the cut flowers you bring into the house. Please forgive me when my eyes glaze over, and all I hear is "blah blah then this happens. Blah blah we should be doing this on the blah blah blah..." and so forth. I do appreciate all you do outside it's just not as exciting as my craft projects...hee hee.



4 comments:

Buffi Young said...

WOW...your yard looks amazing!!! It does have that English garden touch. What a terrific job your hubby did. I LOVE your shaded stone garden too. MAN!!!! You guys are going to LOVE spring and summer this year!!! Way to go!!! I love mowing the lawn too...it's a great get away!!!

Gotta go. All 3 of my kiddos are sick! WOW...this is crazy!! Just wanted to check in on ya! Hope you have a great week.
Love ya,
Buffi

Karin said...

Totally gorgeous--your yard could be in a magazine!!

Nik's Knacks said...

I'm with you. I'd much rather decorate or be crafty INSIDE!
Jeff is the landscaper at our house. He can barely get me to even water anything. I always tell him that anything outside the house is his responsibility and anything inside the house is mine.

You go, Chris. Your yard looks amazing. Jeff cannot wait to get ahold of ours.

Ah, Franks. Do they still have those anymore? All the ones around us have been closed for years.

Have a great day!

Mike and Barb said...

You are hilarious, Kim *giggle*. Love all the "blahblah" sound effects in your post.
I love to garden, but it's one of those things that goes first when I feel overwhelmed. So, needless to say, my backyard has suffered the last few years!! BUT, I'm totally motivated to get it going again.
LOVE your patio - Mike really wants one of those fire pits - hmmm, Father's day is around the corner!!
Barb