Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

September 20, 2011

Halloween Inspired Peat Pot Containers

Way back on this post, I showed you how to use peat pots to create Easter containers.

To date, this has been one of my most popular posts and it's definitely one of my favorite craft projects. With peat pots on clearance at our local grocery store in the gardening section, I decided to create a few Halloween inspired containers.

Supplies:

Peat pots (my local grocery chain had them on clearance for .90 cents for an 8 pack)
Paint and brushes
Vintage clip art or stickers
Glue gun
Mod Podge (or white glue) and wide brush
White glitter
Pipe cleaners (I used wire this time)

Step 1. Paint the peat pot in a Halloween color. This step is totally optional. I actually decided to keep my natural looking and skipped the paint.

Step 2. Allow the peat pot to dry (last spring we put our pots in front of the fan to speed up the drying time). Cover your pot with vintage clip art or printables using white glue or Mod Podge. I used a large brush to help evenly coat the glue.

The Hearth and Home October 1925 (little witch image) came from Bucks County Folk Art here. The owl came from Martha Stewart. The pumpkin pie recipe card image came from Rusty Rooster Vintage on this post.

Step 3. I added another layer of Mod Podge to my graphic and then sprinkled fine white glitter over sections of the graphic. I then added trim, tulle and buttons with my glue gun for further texture.

Step 4. Add a wire or pipe cleaner to the sides of your peat pot to create a handle.

Step 5. Fill with special treats. I poured candy corn into sections of black tulle and tied closed with an orange ribbon.

One of these peat pots will be featured in my upcoming Halloween give-away (along with several other goodies). Be sure to keep visiting.

26 comments:

Lee said...

So cute! I have some old dried out peat pots...oh, no! Another project?! LOL
Thanks for sharing! ((hugs)), Lee

Cheryl G. said...

So darling and clever!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

These are so cute! I'm going to look for some of the peat pots! Time to go shopping...AGAIN! heehee! ♥ You always have such fun ideas! ♥

vivian said...

those are freaken adorable! I have a bunch of peatpots here that I am doing something halloweenie with. I'll post when I'm finished! well, thats if I actually get to them!
xo
viv

Pam Kessler said...

Very cute. Thanks for listing where to find the graphics because I am in love with that owl.

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I consider you the queen of peat pots. I would never have used peat pots unless I had read your amazing Easter basket post. I bought a ton of pots in different sizes for future use. This is such a sweet candy corn holder.I really like the use of the black tulle.

My Vintage Mending said...

No words just perfection! All of the details are spot on. I looked and looked at each one so close to make sure to note each one. Then I just pinned them on pinterest. Smiles...Renee

Jodee said...

What a great idea and so cute for Halloween! Happy Crafting!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Simply adorable...all of them!

Donna said...

I love, love, love your adorable little Halloween treat pots! I think this is one of my all time favorite projects of yours, Kim! The graphics are just darling, and I love all of the wonderful details you added. The crepe paper is great, I really need to try my hand at working with it!

BucksCountyFolkArt said...

Hey Kim!

Thanks for stopping by and telling me about your peat pots. All I can say is WOW!!!!!

Not only your pots, but all your decorating and scrumptiousness of the Fall and Halloween! I just thrive on it all!!

Beautiful work!

Jill

PandaMom said...

So cute!! I'm now feeling the need for some CANDY CORN!! ; )

Claudia Fabiana said...

I love this craft. It's so darn cute. I found you and am following from Very Merry Vintage.

Stop by for a visit to my blog too sometime soon...

ciao

Cindy said...

I have mine painted, but not decorated, yet. With all the construction work, my mom took pity on me and let me off the hook for her ladies' gathering. I still may do some for CNY, as Tori and I will be her special guest in January.

Thanks for sharing the graphics...I love the little girl one!

Have a great Wednesday...
Cindy

You know me so well...Tori and I look forward to our Family Fun!

Joanna B said...

LOVE them!! I just love this season so much!

Heather said...

Oh my goodness, Kim, I am so glad that you posted this idea! I am hosting BUNCO next month, and I've been trying to think of a party favor. This would be perfect! Once again, hope you don't mind, but I think I'll steal this great idea of yours!

Ric Rac and Polka Dots said...

Hi,
I just found your blog through a recommendation from Pam from House of Hawthornes. I am going to follow both of you! I love the vintage retro stuff, and em really enjoying the photos you have up! Please come visit me if you get a chance. I have a new blog, Ric Rac and Polka Dots. I am pretty new, but have lots of fun things planned to share. I hope to see you there! So nice to meet you!
Julie

Lynn said...

Those little pots are so cute!! Thanks for sharing how to make them. I can't wait to see what else you are having in the Halloween giveaway.
Hugs,
Lynn

birdie blue said...

absolutely darling, kim.

xo
molly

Ellen said...

What an awesome idea. These are absolutely stunning. I will be off today looking for some peat pots. These would compliment my fall decorations so nicley.
Thank you for sharing.
Hugs,
Ellen

Janet said...

Those are the cutest peat pots I've ever seen! That's such a great idea and they are darling!
Blessings,
Janet

Vicki said...

Oh my goodness! These are precious. I'm so glad you used the recipe card.

Diann said...

Oh, these are so cute Kim! What a fun idea. Thank you for joining TTFand have a fun weekend!

Tammy at Tammy Loves Dishes said...

Kim, these little Halloween peat pots are so cute! I just love them. I sure hope I find some peat pots on sale!

very merry vintage style said...

So adorable... yet another fabulous creation Kim. Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
Mary

Jenn Erickson said...

Kim, your pete pot containers are without a doubt the most lovely, most artfully done and exquisite ones around. I was so, so thrilled to see that you linked them up to "A Little Birdie Told Me..."! I'm spotlighting your post on my Facebook page today, and can't wait to make some with my girls!

Jenn