Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

October 5, 2009

Recycled Glass Jar Pumpkin Lanterns



Emma and I borrowed one of our favorite Chinese New Year crafts to create pumpkin lanterns out of recycled glass jars.



Supplies needed for this craft include:

Empty glass jar (with the label soaked off)
orange tissue paper
black tissue paper
scissors
glue
brush
(fine glitter...optional)
tea candle

Step 1. Gather up some empty glass jars (here's a good excuse to clean out the refrigerator) and let them soak in hot water to remove their labels.



Step 2. Make a simple solution of white glue and water, using equal parts of each. I poured our solution on a paper plate.



Step 3. Cut up one-inch squares of orange tissue paper (the size isn't that important). You could even tear up your tissue pieces for a more custom look. Set aside your tissue paper.

Step 4. Using a brush, paint the sides of the jar with the glue solution.



Step 5. Paste one layer of orange tissue onto the jar.



Step 6. We then covered the tissue paper layer with another coat of glue and cut up a few black triangles to create our pumpkin's face. Before the glue dried, we sprinkled fine white glitter around the jar to jazz it up a bit more (I'm a glitter girl). We then put Emma's jar in front of a fan to speed up the drying process.

Step 7. Fill it with a tea light candle or battery operated candle and enjoy!

Late Sunday afternoon, we took the girls to a local farmer's stand to buy apples and gourds. Of course I had my camera handy.



I have to tell you a quick story about the coat that Josie is wearing in this picture. It was a gently used coat from another family and it's her favorite coat right now. This morning, I was getting ready to write her initials on the coat tag for daycare and when I told Josie that I was writing J.K. on the tag, she informed me that her name was spelled, J.O.S.I.E. (not JK). She's such a little smartie pants...hee hee.

PS. We'll be making a big push with outdoor and indoor Halloween decorations over this next week. Get READY for loads of pictures! We've only just begun!


7 comments:

Courtney said...

Love these cute little lanterns. The coat is adorable. I can't wait to see all the pictures of the Halloween decorations. Have a great evening.

Karin said...

What a fun craft! So cute!! That is so funny about Josie correcting you on the spelling of her name. :)

Kim said...

Love the little pumpkin jars.. too cute..
Looks like Sunday the girls had a great time..
And Josie's little jacket is tooo cute..
ANd love how she told YOU how to spell her name..LOL..
Kids.. crack me up..
Have a great week..

Susan said...

I love that jacket! Way too cute and I love that Josie thinks you don't know how to spell! I can't wait to see the house totally decked out. You may just inspire me one of these days to do more holiday decorations -- for every holiday!

Rhonda said...

Okay, I want to be crafty....I'm jealous of you! So cute! Josie and her spelling! ;)

Nik's Knacks said...

Good job, Josie! C'mon, mom, can't you spell?
I'm impressed.

Mike and Barb said...

Funny, Josie's coat was the first thing that caught my eye - love it!
Hey, I got all my Halloween decorations up, you should see them. It took me about 5 minutes and I was DONE *haha*. Starting to think of THE Halloween breakfast, though! Any gross ideas??
Love, Barb