Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

November 9, 2008

National Adoption Awareness Month Part 3



"Somehow destiny comes into play. These children end up with you and you end up with them. It's something quite magical." Nicole Kidman


10 Suggestions for Celebrating National Adoption Awareness Month (taken from Adoptive Families Magazine)

1. Start a tradition of taking a family photo each year on the same day so you can see how everyone’s changed. We desperately need to get a photo of all 4 of us in the same picture. I tend to be the one behind the camera lens. We’re due for a new family portrait for our upcoming holiday Christmas cards.

2. Make an effort to help someone who is considering adoption. If you’re a parent, tell them about the highs, the lows, the unforgettable moments. Tell them why you’d do it all over again! I’m the first to say that if we would have started this process five years earlier, I’d do it all over again. I’d especially consider ANOTHER special needs heart adoption.

3. Spend some time celebrating your child’s heritage. For recipes, activities, and other ideas, visit http://www.adoptivefamilies.com/heritage

4. Create a scrapbook with your child. Talk about significant events as you record them together. Get started with tips and tools at http://www.adoptivefamilies. com/scrapbooks Thanks to one of my favorite bloggers, I'm excited about the idea of using Blurb to turn our blog into a hard bound book. Thanks for the tip, Buffi.

5. Join an adoptive parent support group. I’m so happy to have found Chinese Culture Group of Greater Grand Rapids and look forward to their upcoming gatherings.

6. Talk to your employer about offering an adoption assistance plan. Thank you GVSU for offering such a program. Every little bit helped towards our adoption expenses and my FMLA time away without pay.

7. Develop a family ritual to show thanks for your family and the special way you’ve found one another. See http://www.adoptivefamilies.com/rituals for ideas.

8. Make holiday crafts that incorporate designs from your child’s heritage. Just wait to you see our Chinese Christmas tree. Emma and I had a grand time making decorations for it last year and can’t wait to include Josie in our decorating festivities this year.

9. Write a thank-you letter to the judge, social worker, or other professional who made your adoption happen. Sarah Z. – We can’t thank you enough for everything you did to help our adoption journey. Your personal touch far exceeded anything we ever expected. You're the best!!

10. Together, light a candle in honor of your child’s birthparents. Turn off the lights and hold hands as you watch the flames.


PS. We got our first measurable snow on Sunday. As we get closer to Josie's hand surgery (12/18), I'd love any tips for dressing a toddler who will be sporting a hand-to-shoulder cast for five weeks. I'm guessing I need to buy a bigger coat and bigger size tops??? I'm open to any and all advice from Mom's who have had a child with a limb in a cast.

9 comments:

Steffie B. said...

Sweet post.....as far as the cast.....oh dear.....perhaps she'll need short sleeve while in the house....otherwise stretvhy shirts....could be interesting......I hear CL/CP babies get arm restraints as well....but I think for only two weeks....should be interesting....hoping for something THIS month....keep your fingers crossed...toes too! ;) Wink*

Sarah said...

Chris, Kim, Emma and Josie, It is you who have truly blessed me! Thank you so much for your commitment to the Children of the world! Sarah Z.

Reina said...

When Taylor had his cast from hand to shoulder, he wore short sleeve shirts and we purchase several full zip hoodies in one size larger than what he was wearing. The hoodies worked really well as the arm/cast was bent at the elbow with palm up, so it was pretty much impossible to put anything else on with long sleeves. Happy shopping:) Reina

PandaMom said...

It does seem like magic sometimes, doesn't it? Pure Divine intervention. ; )

Mike and Barb said...

Oh, I LOVE that quote from Nicole Kidman!!
Hmmmm, I have only experienced a broken leg (wow, that has been about a year ago already!)
I would think short sleeves, too, and then bib overalls, or jumper style dresses with shoulder snaps - that will keep her upper body warm, even when sleeves are short!
You'll figure it out, I'm sure, but these are a couple of things that come to mind right away!!
Love, Barb

Gwen Oatsvall said...

great ideas ... I want to get t-shirts printed next year that say "National Adoption Day Nov. 15th" on on the front and then on the back say "It Is Adoption Day Everyday In Our House" w/ a scripture underneath ... i love celebrating how my daughters came into our family !!!

Buffi Young said...

Awe Kim...thanks for giving me a "shout out"! :) By the way, I LOVE the picture of Chris reading to the girls and Emma giving him a kiss. That is pricless!!! I LOVE IT!!! GREAT tips on National adoption awareness. I've been so busy I haven't even thought of it!!! Hope you have a great week!!
Love ya,
Buffi

Shanna said...

I haven't ever had a kid in a cast. Can you believe that after 6 kids?? BIG knock on wood :O So I don't have any good advice for you. I am sorry :(

On a happy note, Josie looks completely adorable in her winter clothes and new kicks!! So CUTE!!

Robin Miller said...

Kim,
I love your devotion to adoption and your family, and I love your organization, your creativity, and your genuine personality. You are truly a jewel!
The world needs more like you.
Love ya "punches" --a Gracie line!
Robin