Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

August 3, 2009

Let them eat...blueberry cobbler!!

We went to our local farmer's market on Saturday. I was in the mood to make blueberry cobbler. I'm glad we went. The blueberries were delicious (along with the sweet corn, red skinned potatoes and fresh lettuce that we also picked up). For the recipe, go to the end of this post.



Josie's really been enjoying her sewing cards lately.



Emma loved them at Josie's age (we got them from a local teacher's store) and I'm so glad we never got rid of them. She hasn't quite figured out exactly how to go in and out of the holes in the right sequence, but it's great for her fine motor skills.



We also pulled out Emma's fisher price dollhouse from the sea of Emma's former toys stored under our stairwell (this is a part of our house you will never ever see. Don't ask questions. It's a royal mess. Trust me). Just check out the smile on Josie's face.



Now, onto the recipe. It came from my trusty Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook:

1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 ground cinnamon (optional)
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 beaten egg
3 tablespoons milk

Oven 400 degrees

Prepare blueberry filling. Keep hot.

Filling: In a saucepan combine 1/3 to 2/3 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Add 1/4 cup water. Stir in 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries. cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.

For topping, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and if desired cinnamon. Cut in margarine till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and milk. Add to flour mixture, stirring until moistened.

Transfer blueberry filling to 8x8x2 baking dish. Drop topping into 6 mounds atop of hot filling. Bake in 400 degree oven 20 to 25 minutes or till toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream. Serves 6.

Who says blueberry cobbler can only be a dessert? This even passed as a breakfast food the next morning!!



7 comments:

Melinda said...

The blueberry cobbler sounds so yummy! I love blueberries so I will need to give this a try! Great idea about the sewing cards! I will need to remember these when Mia gets older!

Karin said...

I am drooling... :) Yum!! I love cobbler of any kind.

Those sewing cards bring back so many memories of when I was a little girl. So sweet to see Josie having fun with them.

Courtney said...

This looks so yummy. I love cobbler, so I am going to have to try this recipe!

Ashton said...

Love the pictures! and the blueberry cobbler looks really good!!

redmaryjanes said...

Hmm...you have me thinking about making some cobbler :)

PandaMom said...

Amen to cobbler for breakfast!!! ; )

Thanks for your sweet words about my red thread post.

Wife of the Pres. said...

Looks DELICIOUS!!!

S loves her sewing cards too and also has her own ideas about how to go about sewing! She gets all the holes but not always in the right order. I had to grab some new ones as I never had them for the boys! Don't tell our SW!!!

:)) Hope your doing well! L