Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

January 14, 2013

Thinking inside the box...

Over the years, I've posted tutorials on how to decorate heart-shaped candy boxes.

 For more ideas, see this post.

 Sunday afternoon, I tried something new for a couple of the Valentine exchanges that I'm participating in.

 I decided to separate the box lid and base to create my Valentines.

After the candy is removed, you can use the lid and the base of the box to make two Valentines out of a single box of candy.  Think of these $1.50 candy boxes as mini shadowboxes and layer them with some of your favorite treasures!!


This is interior view of the candy box lid.   The sides were generously brushed with white glue and glitter was sprinkled on top of the glue.

The sides of the box were layered with crepe paper ruffles (see this post) and then trim was hot-glued in place.

Even the backside of the lid gets decorated.

  It's important to make things pretty from both sides!

Here's another version, this time using a Valentine given to me by Elizabeth (Creative Breathing).  I love the reference to China tea.  A miniature teapot adds a little dimensional texture.

This is the backside of this Valentine.  Another sweet image shared with me by Elizabeth. A tiny flower is glued to the sweet little girls hair.

I've been having so much fun seeing what some of my blogging friends are up to with their Valentine crafting. Here's the teapot Valentine!

Happy creating!
 

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are SO pretty! It looks like you put a lot of work into your boxes!

Debby said...

Such cute Valentines.

NanaDiana said...

What a cute, cute idea, Kim. Two for one sounds like a winner to me. You did a great job on them...they are just so sweet-love them- xo Diana

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I have been fortunate to receive two of your Valentine's Day boxes and they are treasures ( we have never received anything so special for Valentine's Day) . I love seeing our creative process at work. Last year I collected all the heart shaped boxes from my office colleagues and will attempt this!
Ps I LOVE the tea in China graphic (we are serious tea drinkers here!)

Lynne said...

For someone like myself who has saved a few valentine boxes over the years . . . you have given me new ideas. Pretty, lovely, adorable . . .

vivian said...

adorable! of course you would think of shadow boxes! perfect kimmie!
ok.. off to make some popcorn!
xoxo

Donna said...

Your boxes are just adorable, Kim! Love the idea of using it as a shadow box. You've done an awesome job, what a good excuse to go out and by a box of candy:)

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Sorry this iPad keyboard, I meant "y"our creative process!

Kim Gillian said...

Your box lids are so cute, what a great idea!! Have a great week.

Tammy's in Love said...

Love that ME graphic!!! Share the wealth card: will you share a scan of that teapot graphic?

XXOO,
Valentine Grama

Unknown said...

Kim Your Valentine boxes are just darling!!!! Love them!

Cris

Pam Kessler said...

Very cute! I bet the boxes still smell like chocolate when you're crafting with them. Can you tell I'm hungry right now?

Janet said...

I really love all your little Valentine boxes, Kim!

Cindy said...

Thanks for sharing your tips and the teapot Valentine! Tea and teapots are my "thing." And of course, little girls from China are my "thing," too!

I have to get busy on my CNY decorations and my Valentine making! Thanks for the inspiration.

Lots of CNY and heart hugs,
Cindy

Cindy said...

Thanks for sharing your tips and the teapot Valentine! Tea and teapots are my "thing." And of course, little girls from China are my "thing," too!

I have to get busy on my CNY decorations and my Valentine making! Thanks for the inspiration.

Lots of CNY and heart hugs,
Cindy

vintage grey said...

So darling and creative Kim!! Love them!! xo Heather

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

Haaa! I'm sitting at the computer right now, stuffing chocolates in my mouth because I had to go buy another box for swapping.
If only Russell Stover sold their empty boxes, I might not gain another couple pounds this season!
I didn't know that you are actually the Queen of this craft! And now I must go decorate the backside of my boxes! :P
Hugs- Erica :)

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

I love your Valentines Kim!! So cute!!!

RetroSandie said...

Very pretty Valentine boxes, Kim! Thanks for some lovely ideas!!!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Kim,
You are so darn creative!!
Very pretty!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Pretty! I'm starting on my box today! ♥

craftyles said...

I hope I have time to some creating-you've got me inspired. The hearts are so pretty, Kim.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Love seeing your ideas that you share with us. I went to the post with the crepe paper as I had no idea that is seems pretty easy to do! Thank you!
Great Valentine boxes!
Warmly,
deb

Cheryl G. said...

Those are beautiful!
LOVE them!
I may even try to make one of those!

Anonymous said...

I am very excited to try this over the weekend. I just love your boxes! I have lot of supplies - I just need to find the time! I just love your blog, Kim!

GardenOfDaisies said...

Very sweet! Are these going on your Valentine tree?

Jodee said...

Adorable V-Day boxes! As always, I wish I had your creative bone!

Unknown said...

Kim, My V boxes have just been sitting here waiting for inspiration. Leave it to you to provide so many wonderful suggestions. Always such fun here! E