Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

January 9, 2013

Preparing for Year of the Snake!

Chinese New Year begins February 10th and we're starting to collect activities and crafts that we can introduce to Josie's classmates regarding this special holiday...the Year of the Snake!
For all my friends who want to get a jump start on Chinese New Year preparations, Panda Express is offering a FREE Chinese New Year Kit.   We've used this service last three years for Josie's preschool and Kindergarten and have been very pleased.  

The FREE kit is geared for second through fourth grades (I adapted some of it for Josie's grade level) and includes:  
  • Panda Express’ Year of the Snake Video
  • Year of the Snake Fact Sheet
  • Jade Emperor’s Interactive Game and Activity Sheet
  • Chinese New Year Decoration Art Activity
  • Lai See Activity Sheet
  • Bookmarks (with a Free Kids Meal with purchase coupon attached)
See here for details from Panda Express.

I recently placed an order with Oriental Trading company for mini red envelopes  that I'm going to fill with Chinese chocolate gold coins.  They were a big hit last year in Kindergarten.  


Over the next few weeks, I'm hoping to share a few Chinese New Year crafts.   
As you can imagine, Josie had fun constructing and decorating this paper chain snake.      
I think a fun variation would be to have each child decorate their individual paper link for a classroom paper chain snake.   
 The zodiac stamp for this year's Chinese New Year - Source

There's always a celebration going on at our house! 


14 comments:

Karin said...

Ooohhh...fun to see what you are going to come up with this year. :) That postage stamp is beautiful. Hope I can get some this year. Our small town doesn't always carry the CNY stamps.

Laura said...

That sounds like alot of fun!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Bring on year of the snake! The stamp is beautiful, the Canadian one was released on Tuesday, people lined up before the post office opened - very high demand!
I think a class paper chain snake is a great project. The children can each write their name on a link. As always, I look forward to following your family's CNY celebrations, it is how I found your lovely blog.

vivian said...

Oh, I like the idea of each kid decorating their own link for the snake! He could end up being very elaborate! and isnt that how he should be? yes lots of celebrations.. but I do think life should be a series of celebrations.. so we are right on target!! celebrate on!

Is it friday yet Kim???
lol... have a great day!
xoxo

Jodee said...

I love how you celebrate at school every year! Adorable snake too! I can't wait to see more!

craftyles said...

I'm sure all the activities will be a big hit. By the way, I just went back and read the letter from Emma to Josie-WOW. You really do have some special girls!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

She did make a cute snake! I think it's awesome that you create so many memories/traditions with your girls! You are a Great Mom!
Warmly,
deb

NanaDiana said...

I absolutely love how you embrace the culture she was born into. She will be forever grateful to you for that when she is grown. I love that paper chain snake-what a cute idea. You're a good Mom!!!! xo Diana

Nellie said...

Another great celebration, Kim! I look forward to seeing everything unfold. xo Nellie

Cheryl G. said...

What fun!
You gave us plenty of time I may even do that for my older kids!

Anonymous said...

Yep - I think your house is filled with fun! Never a dull moment!

Tammy's in Love said...

Do you have the tree adorned in Chinese New Year ornaments now too? Did you find the ME print of the two little girls to put in that mat I sent for you? Fun, fun, fun!

Margaret said...

Wow! My Caitlin lost a tooth yesterday! Her third in 3 months! Love your idea for the mailboxes.I will be checking Target tomorrow! Maggie/Maggie's Lil' Fixins

Wes said...

Wonderful ideas here, Kim! Especially like how you bring the holiday into the classroom and also make it possible to celebrate Chinese New Year without necessarily having to live near a Chinatown.