Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

December 15, 2010

Christmas treats!

This cookie recipe is one that my Grandma Hurst made as a special treat.

She alternated chocolate kisses and peanut butter cups in the making of this cookie and either are super yummy.


Peanut butter cup or chocolate kisses cookies
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 3.4 cup flour
1/2 cup water sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1 egg
2 tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla

Mix the above ingredients. Shape into 1 1/2 balls. Roll in sugar and place in well greased cookie sheet. Baked at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Top each cookie while still warm with peanut butter cup or chocolate kiss. Let cool.

While we're talking about treats, do you enjoy packaging your goodies? Sometimes I enjoy the packaging more than making the treats to put into the packaging (surprise surprise). I found these cute snowmen pom pom heads at Target and decided to use them to decorate a treat container.

I took cupcake paper liners, folded them in quarters, layered several together and hot glued them to the top of a glass container.

I then added the snowman head and some buttons to his head with hot glue. This might even be a fun way to display hot chocolate mix too.


How do you prepare for the holidays? Any special recipes your family loves to assist with in the kitchen? Do share!


10 comments:

Courtney said...

Those cookies always say Christmas to me. I have been making treats for my co-workrs tonight and plan on doing a post of them in a few days ( I have to do the final taste test- you know quality control)!

Heather said...

How funny, we both posted about cookies! I love your little snowman container holders. They look vintage with their little cupcake ruffles!

Every year we make monkey bread and decorate Christmas cookies. However, after the cookie exchange, I am so done with decorated sugar cookies. I am also thinking about making cinammon rolls instead of monkey rolls. We'll see...there's so many good things to bake!

Jodi said...

Keep the ideas and recipes coming - I love your ideas! I think I need to make some coffee cake!! :)

Jodee said...

Those cookies are sooo delicious!

I love, love, love the snowmen toppers!

Reina said...

Oh, the memories of Grandma's cookies,especially at Christmas time! I used to love watching her make those cookies. Jeff says you could follow tradition and send all the grand children and grand children-in-laws their favorite "Grandma Hurst Cookie", this receipe of course is his favorite :) I love the picture of Grandma and Grandpa too, don't recall ever seeing that one.

Reina

La Vie Quotidienne said...

What an adorable idea. Great photo, they are pretty adorable too.(-:

Lee said...

I saw those snowman ornaments yesterday! I was tempted but resisted. Now I just may have to go back!
Got my husband to sit on Santa's lap with me~sending our sons the picture so they have a laugh Christmas morning!
Enjoy the season!

Life in Rehab said...

The cookie recipe looks delicious, but when I saw the snowman head, I had to scroll to see what you were up to! Both projects are temptations.

Karin said...

YUM!!! And those little snowman decorations are sooo cute! You are amazing!

Michelle @ Dream Home DIY said...

You are making me very hungry with all these yummy recipe posts :0)