Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

March 9, 2011

Decoupage Easter Egg

This Easter craft project was inspired by my mother and grandmother who made these special eggs out of Easter paper napkins, white glue and glitter when I was a little girl. I've held onto these eggs and look forward to their appearance each spring.

This is my updated version using paper napkins found at Tuesday Morning and a silk butterfly from Michael's. I will be using the paper napkins and butterflies in other projects in case you decide to invest in the supplies.

Supplies:


Modge Podge glue
Brush
Decorative paper napkins
Fine glitter
Embellishments optional
Styrofoam Eggs

1. Coat the stryofoam egg in modge glue using a brush.

2. Cut paper napkin into smaller pieces and adhere to the egg using more glue.

3. Sprinkle the entire egg with fine glitter while the glue is still wet.

4. I set my egg in front of a fan (on top of wax paper) to speed up the dry time.

5. I made a few of these eggs and added a Christmas hook to the top of one of my eggs so that I could also hang it on my white tree. The silk butterfly covers the hook from view.

Happy Crafting!
Happy soon-to-be Spring!

XOXO

18 comments:

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

I love Easter eggs. these are very cute.

lea
xo

Jodee said...

So cute! We are planning to decorate this weekend. I can't wait!

Michelle @ Dream Home DIY said...

I ADORE the fact you have a little Christmas tree out for Easter :0)

Anonymous said...

Your Easter eggs are beautiful!! I LOVE reading your blog! Your crafts and how you decorate with everything are so enjoyable!! I don't have a blog but I always look forward to visiting yours! Your craft room is perfect and I am inspired by all of your crafts and how you decorate. I too have a white table tree that I decorated for Valentine's day and will decorate it for Easter too!! Thanks so much for sharing your talents!! MDS NJ

Lee said...

Aww...! You took the easy way out-your Mother used real eggs, right?! LOL
Very cute idea- Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

These are so pretty! I love the butterfly and sparkles.

Life in Rehab said...

Wow, I'm in love with that butterfly topped egg! I think there's another craft run in my future.

My Vintage Mending said...

Miss Kim, I have to get to crafting. These are so cute. I love that you still have some from childhood. My mother was not a keeper...probably why I hoard and log everything. I saw someone post old sheet music on eggs as well. I will give this a try and let you know how it goes...safe travels...Renee

Decor To Adore said...

Oh I love these!

I am having an antique auction on my blog. All sorts of lovely and romantic finds looking for a new home. I hope you'll stop by.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Alison Agnew said...

so sweet...i used to make christmas ornaments this way when i was a child...thanks for bringing back those memories and for sharing at fridays unfolded.

blessings,

alison
stuff and nonsense

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Those Easter eggs are darling~ just so sweet!! I love your little tree too- thanks for sharing at FNF! :)

AllieMakes! said...

Fabulous idea!! I love it!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

So pretty, and I love your white tree all decorated for Easter. The butterflies are a beautiful addition to your eggs. Thank you for linking to Favorite Things. laurie

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

paper napkins?!! what a wonderful technique. This is a great Easter project and display Kim, I have not tried modge podge on styrofoam, this opens up a world of possibilities!!!

Mixed Media/ Altered Crafts said...

Such a Awesome Blog! Your egg creations are just beautiful! Hugs Tee

Jeanie Callaghan said...

Just beautiful! I love the colors you used. Fabulous eggs.

Lynne Moncrieff said...

I am visiting from the Altered Egg Challenge.
Your egg certainly captures the beauty of Springtime.
Wishes
Lynne M

Cindy Lew's Studio said...

I love the way you did the eggs, they are so pretty. Funny how we come across blogs. I was just looking around and saw your link on their page. Thanks for sharing.

Happy Pink Saturday
Warm Regards, CindyLew