Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

March 21, 2011

Doll Bed Collection...

I broke a promise over the weekend.

I have a slight obsession with vintage toys... especially doll beds. I already have quite the collection and the girls really don't need another doll bed, but this sweet little wicker bassinet was only .50cents at my local Goodwill and it just needed to come home with me.

I had kinda promised Chris no more doll beds. I've actually given away several doll beds as gifts the last few years, but this wicker basket was too sweet to leave behind.

My Vintage Mending (one of my favorite blogs) shared one of her vintage doll beds on this post, and I thought I might share my collection (obsession) with all of you. My mother (the talented seamstress) has always provided lovely bed linens for my girl's doll beds. Thanks, Mom!

The doll bed on the left was my first doll bed (Christmas 1969)
It also became Emma's first doll bed (Christmas 1999)

The doll bed on the right was picked up in Wisconsin when I attended a conference and I snuck out to a local antique store.
I just love the decals on the bed.

This was the first doll bed Josie received.

I picked up this doll bed at my favorite local antique store.

Aren't the decals are charming?


This next bed is another one of my childhood doll beds.

My mother painted the sweet little pictures on this bed.

This last bed was picked up at my favorite local antique store where my mother gave it a complete make-over for Emma. She made beautiful bed linens, including a butterfly quilt and as well as, beautiful new paint.

Christmas 2007

It's a good thing I have girls to justify my slight obsession...I mean collection.

Happy Thrifting!
Happy Monday!

15 comments:

Courtney said...

Aww they are so sweet. I can't wait until Madison really gets into playing with dolls, then I may have a new obsession!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

What a wonderful collection Kim, thanks for sharing it! I am working on a doll bed project right now, so I am especially interested in them!

I also love the linens and the photos of your girls having fun.

Michelle @ Dream Home DIY said...

Its so sweet that you have this little collection from when you were a girl and now with your girls. That is something they will treasure so much!

Amy said...

I have a slight obsession with vintage toys. I totally get you! They are sooo cute!

birdie blue said...

the doll beds are all adorable. love them!

xo
~molly

Debby said...

I am like Amy. I think I have a slight addiction as well. I have three now that I keep saying I am going to give a make-over for my granddaughters. I ended up buying another bed for my granddaughter at CHristmas because I hadn't gotten to the others. Yours are really sweet.

Lee said...

Your post reminds me of the two doll quilts made each of my grandmothers. love them! I need to fine the old (antique) doll bed at my Mom's....
I am overwhelmed in Paris! not any shopping, but the tours and Louve was wonderful!
Now if I only knew how to post pictures from my iPad...

Karin said...

Love these!! It reminded me so much of the one my grandma had for me to play with when I went to her house. I have no idea what happened to it...wish I would have kept some of those old treasures. :)

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

cute as a button!

lea
xo

Jboo said...

So so cute! Those are adorable! Your lucky girls! :)

Janet

Protector of Vintage said...

What a neat collection! Thanks so much for sharing.

My Vintage Mending said...

Some are made to be broken. These are so cute. The pinks oh my. The girls are using them and they can be used to decorate and for storage? See it all works and your saving a piece of cute history. I simply cannot pick a favorite. Oh my...all of them...Renee

Gina said...

Years ago, I thrifted a gorgeous aqua one like the rocking pink one you have (the one with decals). Mine had decals of sweet, frolicking lambs! I held onto it before kids hoping I would have a girl; however, only boys were in the cards for me. I just sent it to my two young nieces this past Christmas.

GardenOfDaisies said...

Your little beds and cradles are so sweet! We have the one our daughter played with when she was little... I guess it will stay here until she has children on her own who want to play with it.

katie jean said...

I love the pink doll beds! And I totally understand your obsession :) I have 4 doll beds in my garage right now just waiting to be made anew! They are each so wonderful and totally hard to pass up when you see them for sale.