Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

March 24, 2011

Hatbox Luggage Makeover...

A few weeks back, I picked up this hatbox luggage piece for $1.99 at my local Goodwill in the hopes of giving it a make over so that I could use it for additional storage in my craft room. By the way, I looked up this piece of luggage on ebay and they wanted $26 for it.

Also, if you haven't visited Magpie Ethel's blog, she shared her vintage suitcases & doll trunk collection on this post. I'd like to say my hatbox luggage makeover was inspired by her glorious collection.

I gave it a thorough cleaning and filled in the interior with dryer sheets to give it a fresher smell. I then began to scour my supplies for something to mod podge on the front of my suitcase. I came across this scrap of birthday wrapping paper that I had been saving. Feel free to left-click on the photo to enlarge the image so that you can save it for your own crafting projects.

Believe it or not, this piece of wrapping paper is from one of my own childhood birthday parties. Not sure which birthday, but I just love the graphics and my mother hung onto a few scraps of wrapping paper that I had saved in a box of childhood items. I didn't have enough of the wrapping paper to cover the entire suitcase, so I decided to use some of my coffee stained pages from a book as the first base coat. I also scanned the wrapping paper image so that I could keep the original piece.


I started by applying a layer of mod podge on the front of the suitcase.

I then began to layer the book pages, adding more glue as I went along.

I trimmed the wrapping paper images and then added them to the front of the suitcase with additional mod podge.

To speed up the drying time, I set the suitcase in front of a fan. To finish it up, I added some lace cord with my glue gun and attached a daisy flower to the handle.

My hatbox is now paired with this child's piece which is filled with doll clothes.

While we're talking about luggage, I also have a suitcase on the other side of my craft room which is filled with vintage sheet music that I use with special paper projects.

My Asian collections are perched on top of the suitcase and my 45 albums are down below. Josie's favorite thing to do in my craft room is to listen to my story book record albums.

Have a thrifty/crafty weekend!
XOXO

20 comments:

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Very cute Kim and it is so perfect that you were able to use something from your childhood. This was a great project.(-:

Wanda Metcalf said...

I didn't know that would work on that surface. WOW Turned out cute some really pretty things can come of this... =0)

I love love love the KoOkY Wabbit cookie jar!!!

Jodi said...

cute! cute! cute!!!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I am so envious, I have been looking for a little suitcase like that for girls' dolly gear! This is a very special find and makeover, I love how you have held on to that scrap of gift wrap!

abeachcottage said...

Its very cute what you've done with the hatbox. Well done!

My Vintage Mending said...

I love it. Just as sweet as can be. The shape of these boxes are so cute, but you just made them over the top. I would never have thought to add the trim. Darling. Smiles...Renee

Amy said...

Love it!

Michelle @ Dream Home DIY said...

You really are so creative! And I love that you continue to use things from our childhood :0)

Alison Agnew said...

what a lucky find! i adore those vintage pieces of luggage...and you made it look so cute too...well done...thanks for joining fridays unfolded to share your creative idea...following!

blessings,

alison
stuff and nonsense

Pam Kessler said...

That is too cute! That wrapping paper looks very familiar too. I only have one suitcase so far, but am on the lookout for a few more.

Joanna B said...

That is way cute! How very crafty of you!

Heather said...

Very cute and very creative!

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Great project and wonderful reuse of that darling suitcase. I can't believe that scrap of wrapping paper is from your childhood...I have nothing like that (tons of vintage wrapping paper...just nothing from one of MY birthdays!) Happy Day!

Terry said...

Super cute!! Love how you changed it up!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Love it- it is adorable! How neat to have that paper from your childhood too! Thanks for sharing at FNF! :)

At The Picket Fence said...

Absolutely darling and perfectly "vintage"! Thanks so much for linking this up to Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

Life in Rehab said...

That came out just fantastic! I love pieces like that.

Unknown said...

I LOVE This! What a unique piece of artwork.. and I just love that you were able to bring a piece of your childhood to it! Adorable! Thanks for sharing with the pink Hippo party.. can't wait to see what you share next week!

Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you know that I featured this on my blog ! Grab the featured @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/04/pink-hippo-party-23.html

Unknown said...

All so adorable!! Happy to see your creative idea linked up last week at my K.I.S.S. blog bash. Looking forward to seeing what great project you share this week, remember the link is open until tonight @ midnight {CST}.

Drop by The Tattered Tag